Errrr… What do you mean by “Back-To-The-Basics”…? Simple. it means that you’re on your own, folks !
The usual cautions of any Bash apply, but even more so in Bentong. You had better carry 3 liters of water and supplements (electrolytes and nutrition)… because there will not be any sweepers. Yes, you read it right.
And yes, you’re on your own - *insisting*
This is a back-to-the-basics Bash where you are responsible for yourself. If you get lost by going off paper, run out of water, have cramps or get spooked by wild boars, you will need to figure out how to get back on your own.
And most importantly - STAY ON PAPER! If you’re not on paper, backtrack to where you last saw paper and try to find the paper trail from there. DO NOT FOLLOW OTHER PEOPLE. Follow the paper trail instead.
Still wanna come? Keep reading…
Description from the Hares
Date: Sunday, 30 September 2012
Hares: Winston, Mike Phoon, Loon, Morris and Two Dogs F***ing
Start Time: 09 AM (PLEASE TAKE NOTE: the briefing will be at 8:50AM and we will be setting off at 09AM).
The Long Ride will be 27km for the back of the pack and around 30-km for the front riders. Total climbing is ~950-meters, but nothing significantly challenging. It’s truly and honestly all rideable.
The Short Ride will be ~10-km in length and will be with the long ride for a little more than 6.5-km.
There are sections that are in the open, so also wear sun block.
Note: this road isn’t marked; initially it’s a paved road and the last 1/2-km is a dirt track. If you use a GPS to get there, it “may” not take you to the right car park, so we recommend you follow the directions below instead.
1. Take whichever road you would like to reach the Karak Highway. From Mont Kiara or Ampang, the Duke Highway is your illustrious Hare’s preferences. Make sure you follow the signs to Genting and Kuantan.
2. When you go through the Genting Sempah (tunnel), continue on this highway until you reach the Bentong Barat Toll Plaza (22-km away).
3. Take the first exit after the toll plaza.
4. 400-meters later, at the T-Junction, turn right towards Bentong.
5. Proceed 4.2-km and merge left by the Shell Station. This road takes you into the heart of Bentong.
6. In Bentong, 2.1-km after the shell station, you will be forced to turn left, then right. Proceed for ~500 meters passed the shop lots, and at the T-Junction you’ll be forced to the right again.
7. Get in the left lane and turn left in 60 meters merging on the Raub Road.
8. Proceed for another
850-km 850m (just to check if you read…) and turn left on Jalan Chemang towards the Chemang Waterfall.
9. Proceed on this two lane road as it twists and turns, and in 3.5-km turn right.
10. You will go passed an unused National Service Camp (Pusat Latihan Khidmat Negara), the road becomes an even dirt track and, 2.5-km after turning off of Jalan Chemang, you will reach the parking area.
Parking Area Caution
Please park in as organized a fashion as possible. You will note that there are some dirt roads going through the middle of the parking area. Keep the two lanes open since motorcycles and cars use these to get into the orchards nearby.
And again… Stay On Paper!