There’s two ways of doing it.
1. Either you go to MFM-Garmin Map (cGPSmapper) Installation Step-by-Step Guide and follow the procedure - which can be a bit tricky for the non IT-savvy, especially if you want to add the topo contour lines, such as described in Free West Malaysia Topo GPS Map: MFM-SRTMWM 090918…
2. Or, since we are very nice here at KLMBH and we just love our members, we did compile the MFM road and topo maps. Just download the all stuff from this link (130.9MB) and follow this simple procedure to install it on a Garmin Edge 800:
1. Insert a SD card of 2GB in the GPS
2. Replicate the internal file structure on the SD Card as follows:
3. Drag & drop the file “gmapsupp.img” in root/Garmin
4. Reboot the GPS; in Settings chose “malfreemaps” and uncheck “POI” unless you do mind about every McDonalds and Petronas locations are, it makes the screen very confusing with all the icons
5. You have now the topo map for Malaysia including contours. For free.
You may want to use some .gpx files created by others, just drag & drop them in the folder root/Garmin/NewFiles. They would appear in “Courses” once the device is rebooted.
And stay on paper !!!