by twodogsroberts » Mon Jul 18, 2011
Date: 31 July 2011
Venue: Somewhere near Bentong
Time: Pre-Briefing at 8:15 am/ Ride Starts at 8:30 am (Please Pay Attention to this revised start time)
Hares: Winston Loo, Mike Branston, Mike Phoon, Bernard Tan, Chee YT, Morris Heng, Scott Roberts (TDF), Chin Guan
The directions for this bash are below, but we’d like to set the stage by repeating some of what we stated in our pre-amble!
This is going to be a truly pleasing challenge for Bashers. As Mike Branston said, it’ll be an Epic from all perspectives; “Epic climbs, Epic descents, Epic views, Epic single track! It is easily the most enjoyable “pure” mountain bike route I have ridden in Malaysia.” Once again your band of sadistic hares have found another section of trail never ridden by mountain bikers before. On this, we’ve stunned a few orang asli as we descended off a 568-meter hill down a three kilometer single track that they built … all with water bars and berms. Just like they planned this for us !
What you will encounter are trails through jungle, palm, rubber, orchards, rivers, single track, double track, and two sections of tarmac road to access and exit the trails. The views are to kill for, and you may want to kill the Hares after you realize you have to descend and climb the next hill within range! At the pre-briefing we’ll show you some of those hills !
We have decided to start this by doing the first loop for both long and short. This first route is 17.1-km that has a short ride on a road and then a climb on double track which will easily separate out the fast and slow riders. About 6-km in, you will turn onto a single track that will take you up to the peak which is 568-m in elevation ! This is where the amazing downhill is with a spectacular view. I have literally never seen anything like it in Malaysia, and all of us felt it was a “must” for all riders. There are two more climbs on this section, but there are very short before you head back to the car park.
From the car park, the 2nd loop will be 27.9-km in distance.
Total climbing on the entire Epic is 1,600-meters for the front riders. The back of the pack may do about 1,500-meters of climbing! If you start on the 2nd loop, we will give you one last chance to turn around within 10-km of that trail. There will also be a bail-out to avoid the last big hill climb, but if you’ve gone that far and survived, you might as well continue onwards!
Some additional details you need to know. The ride is FREE for MEMBERS, and guests will need to pay the usual registration fee. This ride is SELF SUPPORTED like all other Bashes. You need to bring your own water, food, bars, gels, etc.; just like a regular bash. Each loop starts and finishes at the car park, so that will give you ample opportunity to refill … and decide whether you want to do the 2nd loop! Our STRONGEST recommendation is that each person should carry 3-Liters of water, plus electrolyte solutions, gels and bars. You will need to stock additional water and supplements in your car for your break between Loops 1 and 2. To ride without supplements is considered insanity, and if the sweepers find you in such a condition, they will stake you to the ground, steal your bike, and leave you for the crows.
1. Take whichever highway or route to Genting Sempah that you prefer. For those coming from PJ, D’sara, Mont Kiara, and the Ampang side, we recommend taking the Duke Highway and then exiting in the direction of Kuantan.
2. Carefully follow the signs to Kuantan since there are several forks that will try to throw you off guard! You will hit the first toll plaza near the Islamic Univ. Pay RM 5 and continue on your merry way.
3. As soon as you get through the Genting Sempah (Tunnel), set your trip meter to zero.
4. Follow this highway, better known as the Karak Highway, until you get to the next toll plaza (24.1-km). Here you will pay RM 3.
5. 300-m later take the Bentong-Barat Exit (#808) - 24.7-km
6. At the T-Junction, turn right towards Bentong (25.1-km)
7. At the traffic light (just after the Shell Station) slip left and proceed to the heart of Bentong (29.5-km)
8. Proceed through Bentong passing a Shell Station on your right, the Pasaraya (also on the right) and then you will be forced to turn left (31.6-km), right (31.7-km), right (32.3-km), and then left again (32.4-km) to exit the town heading towards Raub.
9. 800-meters later turn left on Route C136 heading towards the Chamang Waterfalls (33.2-km) - Air Terjun Chamang.
10. Proceed down this road for 5.1-km (38.3-km) and then turn left off the Cemang road. Actually, you’ll be angling left onto a paved road that almost parallels the road you were just on. There will be signs posted from here on into the car park.
11. Some landmarks on this last stretch in: you’ll pass sand mining activity on the left (legitimate at that), a palm loading area on the right (38.7-km), you’ll proceed over a very solid wooden bridge (38.8-km), and then you’ll turn left into the car parking area immediately after the bridge.
GPS Coordinates are as follows: N3 30.545 E101 52.574
Time to reach: 45-minutes if you drive ~110 - 130-kph. Budget an hour to be safe.
PLEASE PARK As far in as possible. The area is tight on space, so we need everyone to go deep inside. We will also need to double up in places if too many cars show up. Also, PLEASE DRIVE SLOWLY ACROSS THE BRIDGE. There is an Orang Asli Kampung further up that road and he people don’t want us abusing their bridge too much.
Remember the EPIC 2011 is self supported and no water or food will be provided along the trail.
Your Sadistic Hares